Monday, September 24, 2012

The Sun and the Nile

Sun and River: Every night, either when I'm walking along the Corniche (coastal road) near my building or in my apartment, I get to see the two marvels that were most important to the ancient Egyptians, the sun and the Nile River. For people in ancient Egypt, the sun was a source of life. It was power and energy, light and warmth. It was what made the crops grow each season, so it is no surprise that the cult of Ra had immense power and was widespread. By the time of approximately the fourth dynasty, the pharaohs themselves were seen as incarnations of Ra, assuming themselves absolute power. And the sun is still so important; it impacts the rhythm of every day life. During the hottest days of summer, the pace slows. During winter, energy can rebound. And it's worth repeating what Herodotus said so many years ago, "Egypt is the gift of the Nile." It's where the world's first civilization began in the 31st century BC. And today, most of Egypt's 85 million people are crowded into the areas along its shores. Immersing myself in the country and its culture gives me a vivid and immediate appreciation of those events and artifacts I had only read about in books. Through the Fulbright experience in Egypt, I can make the country's past come alive and understand directly contemporary issues. Reliving the past helps make sense of Egyptian identity today.
Today's Taxi Experience: My driver to the Seoudi Market today had a torso sculpture of the Virgin Mary in a domed terrarium on the dashboard of the taxi as well as stickers of St. George and Jesus. He was listening to Qur'anic verses recited on the radio. Yet, I got a detour version of the trip I usually take to Doqqi (where the market is). Also, even though he was making more money, the driver was impatient and bad-tempered. When I reprimanded him that the trip was "very, very expensive," since this particular trip usually didn't cost that much, he started to get argumentative. So, I just paid the fare and got out. He had suggested waiting for me. I'm definitely glad I didn't agree to that. Voted: Faxed my write-in absentee ballot today along with a secrecy waiver. I'll eventually receive an official one, which can be sent by mail. In case that one doesn't arrive at the DuPage Election Commission by November 6, my write-in one will be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment