Saturday, September 8, 2012

Felucca Ride on the Nile

Felucca Ride: Feluccas are the traditional sail boats of the Nile in Egypt; and today I went on a ride in one (modified a bit) with Ladies' Gathering Cairo, organized by Bon Bon Bonnie. The picture here was taken just at sunset. About nine women shared stories of life in Cairo, drank juices and coke, and ate fruit, chips, and cupcakes.Many nationalities were represented: Russian, Korean, Australian, Sudanese, Egyptian, and American. Bonnie shared her stories of teaching belly dancing in Cairo (all dancing is basically frowned upon) and others had stories to tell. A good time was had by all.
Egyptian Hospitality:I had lunch at the nearby hotel and ordered chicken shish tawook (marinated, grilled chicken) with grilled vegetables à la carte. However, while I was waiting, the waiter brought lentil soup with croutons and lime wedges for garnish. The croutons puffed to about double their size. The pita bread was delicious. Tabbouleh and tahina were served as complements. While the bill was being tallied, I received dessert (that I hadn't ordered),which was Um Ali–a sort of very rich bread pudding.
Um Ali (Ali's mother) is made up of layer upon layer of pastry, nuts, and coconut and smothered in a sweet, creamy mixture before being baked in the oven. It's often served with a garnish of white and dark raisins and chopped nuts. I ate it all, since I'd heard that if you don't eat all of their food, Egyptians think you don't like it. And they always offer a lot. Plus, I think they're proud of their cuisine.My Building:The last photograph shows my building; it's the last high-rise on the right. The structure is on a tributary of the Nile; so only if you're in a position in the river where the tributary joins the main artery can you see it from the Nile itself. So, there I am on the 14th floor (#28) with two elevators for residents. There is a service elevator. Ma'a salaama for now. Good bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment