Sunday, September 2, 2012

People in the Neighborhood

Neighborhood: The pictures are of people on the network of small streets I take to get to a major street (Kasr el-Aini) in my section of the Cairo, Garden City. I'm learning my way quite well now. Actually, there are a lot of shops on these little streets. I can buy fruit, milk, water, laundry soap, etc., quite close to home–from several different shops. I thought the man shining shoes looked at peace with himself and was taking craftsmanlike pride in his work. He was happy to have his picture taken, although I did give him a tip. I bought a scale ($29, readings in kilograms) since I thought damage was being done. Turned out the appraisal isn't as bad as I thought it might be. I saw the other Fulbrighter being given the tour of the neighborhood by Ibrahim of the Fulbright office. She lives on the first floor (like in France, it's the second) and is a professor of ballet from Columbia College in Chicago. She'd just arrived so I will get to know more about her later as the jet lag wears off.
Contacts: I sent e-mails and made phone calls today. With some I got no answer, with others, the people are returning from abroad and/or will be available later. So I need to keep reaching out. Universities are good sources; and I haven't spent much time at them yet. Sunday here is the first day of the week (yom al-had); but it seems everyday of the work week is teeming with traffic and busy in Cairo. Most Cairenes, and this is true of my area, live in apartment buildings. Only the rich can afford to live in free-standing houses; because space is difficult to find. Men and women usually live at home with their parents until they get married. Traditionally, extended families lived together, however, in contemporary Cairo - as houses have been abandoned in favor of apartments - the traditional family has given way to the nuclear family. Apartments usually have one large room in the front (as mine does) - the living room,with an adjoining dining room, where the family entertains guests. Guests who are not relatives are generally not permitted into the rest of the apartment. Traditionally, women would remain out of view and not come into the living room if someone who was not a close friend or family visited, although this is less common now. It is, however, considered inappropriate for a woman and man who are not married or related to be alone together. So even though I've shown you pictures of couples in public, they are together in a public space and probably have permission to meet in such a setting. They may be planning on getting engaged. .

1 comment:

  1. Carol, it has been nice to keep up with your travels through your blog. I love hearing all the details. Peter and I are enjoying our trip to France right now. I look forward to reading more! Take care, Nicole

    ReplyDelete