Saturday, August 25, 2012

Comparing the Weather

Today Wheaton, IL (94°) is having similar weather to Cairo (96°), except probably for the humidity. Today, I just caught up on more shopping. It's the second day of the weekend here (Friday and Saturday). I will go to the big supermarket, Alpha, tomorrow and pick up a few more supplies; then start working on contacts. Alpha is small by our standards but is one of only three or four in Cairo. I'm staying in my current apartment (via a detour in a very nice hotel); the ear plugs really help. There aren't many apartments in Egypt as nice as the one I have; so am very lucky to be provided with it.
After I've done some work, I'll take some excursions to see sights in Egypt I haven't seen. This is an amazing country with magnificent ancient monuments, desert vistas and oases, and red sea resorts. The Egyptian people are so hospitable and warm; and the Fulbright staff has been going out of its way to make my stay comfortable. I have not, however, taken up traffic-dodging in Egypt. In that respect, I've decided to be cautious and quite risk averse. I still don't think Chicago traffic is going to seem like a picnic when I return; but I definitely will have another perspective. Almost every car here has dents and scrapes on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment