Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Protests Not Too Bad Yet

Tuesday Muslim Brotherhood Demonstration Canceled: Received a message from U.S. Embassy (Nov. 27, 1:43 AM) stating: "Police battled protestors throughout the night and currently are engaged near Omar Makhram mosque near Tahrir Square. Protesting youth continue to throw both rock and molotovs as the confrontation has been scattered from the Embassy's North Gate to current location near the mosque." I went out to buy a flash drive from Radio Shack in Doqqi, since I have a presentation to give on Thursday. The tension seemed to have ramped down "a bit" after the Muslim Brotherhood canceled its planned demonstration for today. The Fulbright Office reversed an earlier decision and remained open. I left a bit after 10:00 AM, since Egyptians aren't usually morning people; and the traffic is lighter. I had no problems getting to Doqqi. On the return, my taxi driver claimed that he knew an area close to my next destination; but he ended dropping me off in Mohandeseen. He must still be learning the ropes of being a taxi driver. So after a few lost Egyptian pounds ($1.16, not that much) I finally got to the right street. The fare seemed high; but I had forgotten to look at the meter when I entered the car. I bought several clay figures of country Egyptian women at the shop, Lehnert and Landrock, on Sherif Street, and a framed photographic print of a Bedouin girl taken by these early 20th century photographers. Heading back home, I hailed a taxi that took the normal route right past Tahrir Square. There was no sign of any commotion in sight. Since I arrived home before noon, it's still early in the day. President Morsi tried to reassure Egyptian judges on Monday evening that a decree giving his decisions immunity from judicial review would only apply to “acts of sovereignty." Yet, legal experts said that "a meeting of the Islamist president and the Supreme Council of the Judiciary had not produced any changes to the wording of the decree (FT, 11/27/12)." Activists who planned to hold massive demonstrations on Tuesday are proceeding with them. At least they won't have their polar opposite, the Muslim Brotherhood, to confront. However, the police will be out. As events unravel in Egypt, I'll continue to follow the news.
Me in an entry to Al-Azhar Mosque. I was surprised I only had to use my scarf, since I had heard the gatekeepers were very strict regarding dress.
From Lolita Flowers. How do you comprehend a name like that in a country whose culture is trending more Islamic?

No comments:

Post a Comment